August 30, 2008

Brent’s Tri Update

It’s high time I report on this season’s swim/bike/run adventures. I’m not sure where the summer went but it’s almost ‘Cross season! Here’s what I’ve been up to:

8/24/08 Pinchot Triathlon, .75 mile Swim / 18.2 mile Bike / 3.1 mile Run
I had a good day, placing 3rd in 45-49 age. We did 2 triangular laps in Pinchot Lake, two circuits of the Lake on rolling hills with a few short climbs, and a run on trails and paths along the lake.

8/10/08 Harrisburg Triathlon, .8 mile / 14 mile / 3.1 mile
This race had a downstream river swim, a flat hammerfest on Front St. to Ft. Hunter and back, and an out and back run across the Walnut St bridge. I was 7th my age group, 42 seconds out of 5th place and under 3 minutes from 3rd. The competition was strong and (sort of) makes me look forward to being 50 (!!!!) and in a new age group next year.

The Specialized Transition Pro
The new Tri bike was worth waiting for. It is an amazing state-of-the-art machine that slices through the air like a fighter jet. Now if I could only add some afterburners. It is very cool – check it out!

7/13/08 Musselman Half Iron, Geneva NY, 1.2 mile / 56 mile /13.1 mile
This popular race has a Seneca Lake swim and a rolling bike in the beautiful Finger lakes region, and attracts a large competitive field. This year we were drenched by rain for the last half of the bike and all the run. Not all bad as the rain kept things cool on the run and we got to splash through puddles. After a strong swim and good bike I was slowed well off pace in the run by fuel / fluid absorption issues and ended up 42 of 58 in age group. Of course finishing any Half Iron is definitely a win!

6/29/08 General Smallwood Olympic Triathlon, Indianhead MD, .9 mile / 24.8 mile / 6.2 mile
This was the tune-up race. I had a good race unfolding until mid-bike when my rear tire flatted. I changed it along the road I took off again and suffered another flat within 5 minutes. This time I removed the offending sliver of glass from the tire (we all know to always check for this when fixing a flat, right?) and was off again. The run was incinerator hot and less than inspiring.

Upcoming Races:
Speedwell Forge Triathlon – September 6

Cross Racing - TBD
Goofy Race-and-a-Half Challenge – Disney World ½ and Full Marathon, January 2009. Can you guess what the Goofy Challenge is?

Special Thanks to the support and cheering crew: Donna, Kera, Chris and Gwen!

No comments: