September 20, 2009

Brent’s Tri Update

It’s time to report on this season’s swim/bike/run adventures as it's almost ‘Cross season!

9/12/09 Lancaster YMCA Olympic Triathlon, .9 mile Swim, 26 mile Bike, 6.2 mile Run
This triathlon is held at Speedwell Forge Lake and has a hilly bike and a tough run through verdant Lancaster county farmland. The rain from an offshore storm lingered into the weekend we raced in a cool misty drizzle. I rode conservatively on the technical rain-drenched bike leg and slogged out the run to take 4th place in 50-54 age group. This tri reminded me of a ‘cross race after the freshly-cut grass transition area was quickly turned to muddy mire and all the gear was loaded with mud and grass!


7/19/09 Musselman Half Iron, Geneva NY, 1.2 mile / 56 mile /13.1 mile
This classic race has a Seneca Lake swim and a rolling bike through the beautiful Finger Lakes region and as a Long Course World’s qualifier attracted a very fast field. I finished 26th of 48 in the 50-54 age group with a strong swim (8th) and bike (15th) and a very sub-par run (39th), with a total time of 5:53:45. I’m OK with that result but looking forward to finding the magic fueling/hydration strategy and exploring my long course potential next year.

6/21/09 NAI CIR Harrisburg Triathlon, .8 mile / 14 mile / 3.1 mile
This race at City Island had a downstream river swim that was very fast this year due to high water, a flat out and back on Front St. to Ft. Hunter , and an 5K run across the Walnut St bridge. And apparently, new for this year, bacteria….. The City Island beach was closed the next day due to high levels of EColi. These bacteria must not be very good in the swim leg as to my knowledge nobody got sick.


The Mountainside Triathlon splinter group gave a strong showing, with Mark Ritter taking 4th of 20 in the 40-44 age group in 1:13:48. I was 3rd of 18 in 50-54 age group at 1:14:03. I was happy with 3rd but also think I might have tried shave off another 15 seconds had I seen Mark in front of me. Imagine the photo of a Mountainside sprint finish...

No comments: